Friday, June 11, 2010

World cup

In light of the start of the World Cup I figured I would list all the reasons I love the world cup, while at the same time list reasons I hate Toronto FC.

I love the world cup because The top players play, simple as that. Nobody could possibly refuse an invitation to their club team, and they play with a passion for their country, it really means something to them. It reminds me of when I would play hockey against these American powerhouse teams who would recruit American players from all over the States to face us. and it was a national pride thing for us. We hated them, we couldn't lose to them. That x1,000,000,000 is the world cup... pretty cool

I hate TFC because The worst players play, simple as that. TFC is considered "major league" soccer but my God if you've been playing soccer for your whole life, and you're THAT bad, you should give up. and in Toronto, the sheeple think their players are soooooo good, and that pisses me off because it's insulting to good soccer players

I love the world cup because The brand of soccer is just beautiful to watch. The different styles, from Portugal's stylistic attacking style, to Brasil's new gritty counterattack win style, to Italy's defence and through-ball style the essence of good sport is multiple strategies played out against each other. It's like war but nobody dies.

I hate TFC because The brand of soccer is like watching a group of temporarily blind (because if they were really blind they could follow the ball with its sound) 1 lunged, 1 leged asylum patients play soccer. Its like a circus of nothingness with no organization, no skill and mediocre heart try to play a game you play with all your heart and soul.

I love the world cup because Everybody gets into it. People who don't know shit about soccer and normally call it boring give it a chance and embrace the soccer community. Its beautiful to watch. Sure its a tad annoying that people claim to be soccer fans for 1 month every 4 years but the atmosphere is worth it because basically they admit it

I hate TFC because Douchebag sheeple in Toronto. Ok here's the thing. In Toronto we are always searching to be the hip European sort of city, all cultured and shit. We also want to be know as a "big team" city so we don't support The Toronto Marlies or the Mississauga Ice Dogs because its not Pro hockey. We don't support Inter-county baseball because its not pro baseball. We only support pro teams. But we support TFC because were all fucking idiots and we actually think TFC is a pro soccer team and MLS is a pro soccer league. It's not. Its amateur, but its insulting to amateur because amateur players make up for kill through effort, but MLS doesn't really do that. But we support it because it supports our fucking delusion that its a "major league" (its not) which plays "major league soccer" (it doesn't). Its rank amateurish soccer that we root and cheer for even though we claim were to big for amateur sports.


I love the world cup because Rivalries... Its one of the big reasons I love college football the rivalries are just so much fun. I can't wait to see USA vs England and if you could see Brasil vs Argentina or Spain vs Portugal its just fun, its exciting...

All in all I love world cup time. Its the beautiful summer for the beautiful game. Find a patio, get some friends together have a couple pints and enjoy the month!

One Love...

No comments: